Saturday 7 October 2017

DEATHWISH / U.B.T. / OTVORENI PRELOM / DISBAJA 05.10.2017., Stara škola, Novi Marof

after a long, actually too long time, one more interesting gig in Novi Marof.. there was some ultra positive atmosphere and mood all around this one whole two weeks before it happened, from the day I found out about it, probably the reason was just that there wasn't any gig with such good line up like for ages in Marof and, well it is Marof.. I had huge expectations of it, was sure there will be a lot of familiar faces and one more great party, but this time I was so wrong.. at least with one part..
but let's go from beginning.. as I found out from the conversation with L who organised this event, there was a plan to make some gig for Disbaja in Marof for a long time already so when Otvoreni Prelom was asking for a gig on their mini tour through Croatia that was great opportunity to call Disbaja as well.. U.B.T. are old friends and glad too see guests and only two days before gig Deathwish from USA pop out and instead of gig in Zagreb where they were supposed to play that night they are transferred in Marof.. and this is how this interesting crew of bands ended out together in small city in the middle of week (Thursday).. well, and that was the biggest problem, as shown later..
when me and Š arrived in 20:30 (gig was about to start in 21:00) there wasn't literally no one except organiser, two guys who were supposed to work on bar, the guy selling tickets and folks from the States.. that's where we start to be a little suspicious about if there will be any people there.. there was some joke about how confused guys from Deatwish looks like and was probably asking themselves, something like, where the hell we come to.. shortly after, guys from Otvoreni Prelom arrived, as we later found out they had some car accident on the way and a lot of troubles, that's was the reason why they were late, and few minutes after them crew from Zagreb also come with all the backline so after setting everything up gig could begin.. in meantime some 10 - 15 people gathered not counting the bands members and that just make me sad.. I mean, I do realize that it was Thursday, a lot of people was working the other day, go to school, etc., but I was also at 5AM next morning on my way to work, even some band members was working the other day but still we were there.. I really didn't expect that, and that's just shame..
anyhow, Deathwish takes their positions and open the gig without any sound check or whatever and they played their 20-25 min set without any compromises despite they were in front of 30 people or less, respect for that.. I'm not fan of such kind of music, heavily Motorhead influenced hc punk, but they sure are good, well played band and it was extra interesting to see them this night..
after really short pause, U.B.T. takes the stage and they kicked some asses.. thousand times better gig then the last time in Marof and they were great back then too.. vocal was almost sober this time, they sound more rehearsed then ever, I really like what V is doing with guitar and all together it was great performance.. short set by them in old school raw hc punk way with a lot of microphonia and noise in between songs, a little bit echoed vocals, friend said that they sounded like After the Bombs, well they sounded more "american" than Deathwish, hehe.. everything was great by them only a little too short performance due shortness of their songs, so I hope that they will make few new ones 'till the next time and play a bit longer..
after them, Otvoreni Prelom from Serbia.. I don't know what I feel about this band, they aren't too good to me at studio recordings but I liked few live videos I watched on youtube before.. anarcho colored hc punk by them, occasionally with two vocals, they somehow reminds on all this 90's/early 00's atmosphere but there is just something missing, don't know what but can't decide if I like them or not, strange.. anyhow good performance by them too..
and for the end, as it once again confirmed that night the best and the most quality domestic band at the moment - Disbaja.. last time when I was watching them in Zagreb, if I remember well they were playing mostly some newer songs and sounded to me more metal as it should be, by far when it's about my taste so I was a little bit worry how they will sound but this time they were playing also old songs like to me the best What Are You Looking For, Saboteri Mladosti and Fog of Lies, also cover of Varuker's Another Religion Another War and with their 30-35 min performance finally shaken up those 30 people who were there.. and yes they were only band that night that was asking to play bis, and they of course did.. they are really, really mighty band live and even if I'd watched them already like 10+ times I just want more!..
after the gig and just few words and pictures with "crowd" we go home because we were working in the morning.. at the end it was actually a hell of a gig, I'm just sorry and kinda ashamed when such good bands need to play for 15 people or for other bands.. we complain about the scene every day and when you should bring your lazy ass to a gig and support your local scene you stay at home.. that's just lame.. and yes, the most important on the facebook event there was like 40 people "is going" and 58 "is interested" - up the facebook punks!.. and to all other people from Varaždin, Marof and Čakovec for which I know that they aren't assholes - where the hell were you on Thursday!??..
I mean I was on gigs, for example in Zagreb, with such or even less number of people but didn't expect that from Marof..
luckily we were drinking a lot so organiser manage to collect some gas money for the bands from the beers.. also bands from Zagreb left their part of money to bands that were on tour and except of great playing that was the only praiseworthy thing and bright part of this night..
see you next time.. I hope in bigger number..

No comments: